These have been a busy two weeks.
The biggest disappointment was my inability to participate in the Freedom Run again this year. It's a "5KM" run organized on Independence Day, and I really wanted it to be my first 5KM, but alas it was not to be. Improperly trained, I slept right through it. Pity.
I spent Independence Day, finishing Ramachandra Guha's India after Gandhi, the book that continues past Aug 15, 1947, the date at which our history books in school stop. A largish book, eminently readable, but didn't really end up satisfying me. It's a very good read, but I think the subject is suitable for a multi-volume work, not just one! The underlying theme of the book was largely how India always seemed "doomed", but never did fail as many nations created in that era. Historians, please write more "general" books on India after 1947! [NP: Yep, the book will be in the mail ...]
Then I completed writing some software I'd been intending to write since I first landed up at the institute. The last time, it was quick one day hack job, and I always wanted to write it "properly". It's a website generation tool, not unlike Website Meta Language, webgen and Skribe, but far more simple in function and scope. I'm quite happy with how it's turned out, and after some final polishing will release it publicly. It's being used to manage my lab's new website (yet to debut), and will soon manage mine as well.
I've also got working on my research, formulating and writing the framework for an experiment I'm conducting. It's a simple experiment, and I've just about finished writing the code for it. It will however, take very long to run. That's the reality of Computer Architecture research using simulation.
Bonszai's had two falls again, what with my bag slipping out of my hands, and of course, the now regular cycle crash. The cause this time was a fast turn on a slippery wet tiled slope. The right knee was skinned again, the old scars still visible, and a new one to add to my "collection". That bag is a gem, protecting it both times from any visible damage.
It's my favorite kind of weather now, raining outside and I gotta get back to my work ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
rains have left Mumbai for now!! I guess it will accompany ganeshji who will grace us with his presence soon!!! dying to read RG' book!!but will keep it on hold!!! enjoy your life at IISc
Hey sree,
Read this one
Freedom at Midnight..A friend recommended me this one..I am not sure who the author is coz still to lay my hands on this one
tc cya
Post a Comment