When I stumbled across the folder "Anime.Kids", I hesitated before peeking in. Yep, I had hit the jackpot. The folder contain animated films from Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks and many other well-known animation studios. So the person who had named the folder "Anime.Kids" had got it wrong on both counts.
The hesitation was, of course, because of the "Anime" label. I dislike anime. Where anime is that half-drawn attempt at cartoons from Japan. Speedracer, Pokemon, and the like. It's also all the rage now, given this attempt to reclassify all animation as anime.
But inside that folder I would revisit anime. For mixed along with the films from the classical animation studios, were several films I had never heard about. Wikipedia's articles on those films got me curious enough to get me watching them.
In short, they were wonderful.
Anime, they are, but with wonderful storylines and almost classical animation. To be fair, most anime not intended to sell merchandise do tend to have very nice storylines, but the animation made it that much more palatable.
I watched Princess Mononoke, Spirited away and half of Naushika of the Valley of the Wind. They're all by Studio Ghibli, directed by Hayao Miyazaki, and all highly recommended.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
How dare u say a thing against anime? Take back your words or I'll write down ur name in my Deathnote! ;)
Just a piece of info for all u guys who dislike anime...If u liked "The Jungle Book", it is too late for you!
Admit it...Anime is good. Anime is kool. Now repeat after me-"Anime Rocks!(& so does G@K)"
Whoa ... "chaddi pehenke phool khila hain" ... was an Anime adoption?
Wikipedia does confirm this, though I must admit I do not recollect *any* anime "flourishes" -- no weird eyes, no pointed faces, no static faces with mouths moving, or maybe I was too small to notice?
Innocents corrupted ;) *Sigh*
Also isn't it nausicaa???
Well, nit-picker, on my blog I nitpick you!
You forgot the "N" and the umlaut.
But frankly, I'm translating from the original Japanese :D
No u r not! :p
And most people think that anime is like Dragonball Z or Pokemon...which is not true. Anime has been able to go where regular animation hasnt. Also the story is generally very well developed. Watch Grave of Fireflies and Barefoot Gen. Also the excitement in anime in shows like Black Lagoon is just mind-blowing. Anime enabled people to narrate highly imaginative stories which normal movies couldn't. There is still a lot you have to watch to truly appreciate it. A few recommended movies- Paprika, Perfect Blue, Ghost in the shell 1 & 2!
Post a Comment