Jan 15, 2010 was an annular solar eclipse, not a total one, but one does not miss the opportunity to watch an eclipse. Especially since the last I watched a Solar Eclipse, all I can remember is Prof. Yashpal shouting at the DD anchors. So I landed up at about 12 Noon to watch my first solar eclipse. The roads and restaurants were empty [less superstition, more long weekend is my guess].
My friend Siva had setup his telescope and a projection screen to watch the Eclipse. Maximum coverage was at 1319 hours. And this is what we saw:

It did not get dark, though the colour of the light changed significantly. But perhaps the most spectacular thing (which I had never heard about) was this:


Every pinhole (light through the leaves, etc.) was crescent shaped!
Fantastic experience, and given that the next one is a millenium away, I guess I was lucky to catch it this time!
No comments:
Post a Comment