Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Notion Ink Adam

I told people I was in the market for an e-book reader. I even contacted my favourite computer book store who have also started selling e-book readers. They said they could get me what I wanted, and the price was good. But I hadn't done my research, and so I decided to wait.

Turns out that it was a very good thing I waited. I just came across the Notion Ink Adam tablet. In short, it's an iPad killer.

It's the first device to use Pixel Qi's (Mary Lou Jepsen of OLPC fame!) LCD display which can be full color as well as "e-ink" type. The Apple iPad uses a "normal" LCD display, so I would assume it would suck at e-book reader applications.

The Adam uses the NVIDIA Tegra and can play 16 hours of HD Video. It has some very impressive specs, including some wonderful sensors (A-GPS!).

It runs Google's Android! Which means it actually runs Linux. Which I hope means it's hackable! Which means I can actually own it completely!

And it's supposed to retail at a price point of $327 to $800! They've tied up with content people (digital magazines, etc.) to subsidise the cost as well. They have artistic vision and it seems, also good business sense. They debuted at CES and MWC and have garnered some very good reviews.

And did I mention it's done by people in Hyderabad? Incredibly happy to see this type of technology design come out of our people. Go Notion Ink!

[P.S.: This device will give a lot of people at Apple at least some sleepless nights and with very good reason! As for the e-book reader companies? Goodbye people!]

2 comments:

Alff said...

But when will it be available in India? As far as I've read, it will only be available in the US sometime around July and maybe after that in India.

ksp said...

Yes. But I'm hoping it'll also be available in India.

It better be!