Wednesday, March 31, 2010

BBCh 2: The MTB Race

Mar 21: The second race of this season's Bangalore Bicycling Championships. And it's an MTB race! I've not ridden many trails, so this is going to be more fun. There's just one hitch though -- the race venue is 40km from the Institute.

Thankfully, I find another brave soul to accompany me, and we set out early on Mar 21. Early being 5AM. We reach exactly at 7AM, the time the race is about to start.

It's a 5.5km trail, to be ridden 4 times for a total of 22 km. We're in two minds about this, since we have a 40km journey back to the Institute. Thankfully, a "newbie" category is announced where we can ride only two laps. Since we did two warmup laps, I guess "newbie" was good enough for us.

The trail selected was very very nice. There are climbs as well as descents, but the sheer variety of the track was fun. There's plain "people" tracks, there's just grass, then there's four-wheeler tracks filled with stones (owww!), there's just plain mud, then there's ground covered with leaves and twigs and not a single thing underneath them visible! Riding this track was awesome fun. I did not lose my balance, and the Thunder performed extremely well! Took 34 min for the 11km.

Here's a shot of my rear sprockets (the last 3 are "cleaner" because I used them on the trip back!):



And here's my Cateye showing the trip distance:



Took 5h:17m, which is about 19kmph. Not bad for people who did not have any breakfast!

4 comments:

piemusings said...

:) Cool! Is your a** ok with the bumpy roads or sitting on cushions ;)

ksp said...

The butt has been promised some biking shorts as soon as I can locate some nice ones!

Alff said...

At least someone is making good use of his bike (reminds me I have to pump some air into mine)

ksp said...

Alff, the bicycle scene in Bangalore is fairly awesome. Check out the Bangalore Bikers Club. I'm sure you'll find enough riders in the area you live in!

For me, it's fairly easy to ride the bike, since I commute everyday on it! Plus the Institute is heaven for bicyclists!