Sunday, September 02, 2007

The Law of Averages spares no one

And I thought I was invincible.

After a lot of happy weeks, last week had to be a total bummer. First, I fell ill. Confined to my room for half a week, while my experiments ran without me around. Not that I needed to be around, but turns out those experiments bombed as well. After 5 days of running continuously, it was progressing so slowly that I had to call it off. Kids, never mess with quadratic complexity.

It also meant I was prickly almost all of last week, which did not help when friends asked for assistance. However, I did get to play with some hardware I've never played with before, and some serious hardware at that. Old now, but serious nevertheless.

I also had to curtail almost all extra-curricular activities, which means my streak of three months is now finally over. Well, I ought to restart soon, so that's okay.

Perhaps the only saving grace the whole of last week was Frederick Forsyth's The Devil's Alternative. It was as good as the Day of the Jackal or The Odessa Files, though it's clearly written in a very involved style. Funnily, not many know of this book. Ah well. I also re-read his The Fourth Protocol, which is kinda okay.

Almost recovered and stable now, but still angry 'cause I still don't know why I went down like I did. The Law of Averages should have better timing.

2 comments:

rohan_nog said...

Hmmm, even I've got started on Forsyth. Reading "Dogs of War" now, even though I've my mid-sems in a couple of days. Unputdownable.

ksp said...

The Dogs of War is something I'm searching for from quite some time now.