Monday, December 31, 2007

"I Too Had A Dream"

[Verghese Kurien with Gouri Salvi, Lotus/Roli Books]

Incredibly readable book, I read mine within hours of buying it. That's something I can't say of many books I buy these days.

Amul has always fascinated me, both for its structure -- it's a co-operative -- and for its marketing abilities, which has made it a household name in India. Written with incredible frankness, this autobiography or a memoirs of sorts talks of Dr. Kurien's role in setting up Amul, and his conception and execution of Operation Flood, the movement that turned India into the world's largest milk producer. Along the way the disinterested, city-born and bred engineer turns into an employee of the farmers, and brings to them real empowerment. There are the usual share of prejudiced MNCs (the natives can't do it), the non-believers -- both Indian and otherwise, and, of course, corrupt politicians. It is remarkable to read how he handled them all.

Highly recommended.

No comments: