Thursday, January 08, 2009

Unusual bikes around campus

The Institute features a large number of bicycle commuters. It also features a wide variety of bicycles. Among the unusual ones I've seen here is a guy riding a unicycle (yes, I know a unicycle is not a bicycle!).

Today, however, I caught a visitor zipping around on campus on a folding bike. I've always wanted one -- they're perfect for trips where local transportation is non-existent or unreliable, and a great way to site-see. Unfortunately they're hideously expensive in INR (five figures!). There were a lot of bemused glances in his direction, but a lot of jaws will drop if and when he demonstrates folding his bike.

Update: It seems TI cycles in India introduced two folding bikes in a "Foldman" series in 2005 selling them at INR 8000 and 9000. Unfortunately, it seems they folded up that part of their business (pun intended) given a lack of demand.

No comments: