IIIT-B in Electronics City in Bangalore was hosting a week-long summer school on topics related to my research, so I signed up to go. Would I need accomodation I was asked? I said no, I'd commute daily. On my bicycle.
In retrospect, I was crazy. If I had stayed on their campus, I would be able to get the right amount of sleep, would not have to juggle two bags carrying my work clothes and my cycling clothes, and not have to go hunting for a shower in their hostels. But cycling is what I did.
IIIT-B is 26.5km from the Institute. The roads are mostly good, and I chose the ride on Hosur Road, a straight road that starts from Brigade Road. I had recced the route in early May, taking a good four hours for the journey to and fro from IIIT-B which includes time I got lost in the city after missing a turn.
Although the school began on Sunday, it would start in the evening at 5, and I decided I'd rather go by bus. This would also allow me to find shower and clothes changing facilities inside IIIT-B. So it was actually on Monday morning, at 6AM, when I actually started my ride to Electronics City. Traffic was light, signals weren't active, and Brigade Road was deserted. I rode at a good pace before hitting my first "up" near Adugodi. That passed, I zipped by the Forum Mall, Koramangala (my half-way point) and Madivala before climbing the Silk Board flyover. The Silk Board Flyover signals the beginning of a well-maintained almost pedestrian-free roadway which made riding easier. Unfortunately, it also has several long climbs, which reduced my speed drastically.
I reached IIIT-B exactly an hour and nine minutes after I had left, averaging about 23.5kmph. This was actually faster than the bus. Which is a sad state of affairs. I guess this is why we have an explosion of private vehicles on the road.
Since the school terminated rather late on Monday, I decided to go back by bus, leaving my bicycle at IIIT-B. This was a pattern I'd follow for the next two rides as well. The Bus service at night was a nightmare, not at Electronics City which has buses till 11.30 PM or so, but at Majestic where buses to my area were running the last services. Back in my hostel room at about 12AM, I had to getup early if I was to make it back by 7.30AM -- earlier than I would have to if I decided to ride!
On Tuesday, my journey back from Electronics City was surprisingly enjoyable. Starting at 9PM, I rode on an almost empty road with a nice wind blowing, almost completely downhill till the Silk Board. I could easily ride 40kmph, but rode this stretch at 34kmph. I could not maintain this speed after entering Madivala, however, primarily because both the traffic and pedestrian density were considerably higher than in the morning. Thus, I made it back to the Institute at 10.30PM, an hour and a half ride -- which was still faster than a bus ride! I must admit I felt more energized than tired after this ride! Some sore muscles, for sure, but incredibly energetic.
Since the school had planned an excursion to Mysore on Wednesday, I had to get to Electronics City even earlier at 6AM. This meant that I would have to leave about 4.30AM. I eventually did ride out at 5AM, and rode speedily in the darkness. Despite having to stop a few times to pickup my saddle bag which was falling from my saddle, I still made it by 6.15AM. I would use the bus again that night, for no good reason, other than perhaps the fact that I didn't want to push my body too hard.
My ride back on Thursday night was uneventful, except that the BBMP decided to dig an underpass on my route and I had to take alternate routes which were choked with traffic. That passed, I again rode slower, reaching the Institute after about an hour and forty minutes.
Friday was a surprise off-day, since I decided to sleep in and went late to the school on a bus, my bicycle left behind at the Institute. This turned out to be a bad decision, for when I landed up at 5.30AM on Saturday morning all eager to ride to Electronics City, I discovered that my saddle had been stolen. Not wanting to ride all the way standing up, I had to hastily change my plans and take a bus again. So I never did commute 50kms in a day.
Ah well. The 100-odd kms I rode were a lot of fun. There were no untoward incidents or equipment failures, and I enjoyed riding those kilometers. My legs are a bit more stronger, and I am a little more experienced about riding on the road.
To be frank, this commute is possibly on the higher side for Bangalore (but many people ride a lot more in Bangalore!), but I was clearly inspired.
Rewards? A new bike short, which should reduce chafing, and a pair of riding glasses, er ..., to keep the dust out of my eyes ;).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Bravo guruji.
Thanks @alff
Well done Sree. Yup, eyeglasses are a boon, particularly any where near the Metro. But, somebody stole your saddle? The world makes less sense than it used to.
Post a Comment