Monday, May 03, 2010

Bicycle Dreams

Yesterday, P (our resident top racer) and I (our resident I'll-probably-do-anything-once guy) headed over to BOTS for a movie nite! Obviously, the movie is about bicycles, and this time we've going to watch the documentary Bicycle Dreams that covers the Race Across America. The race that half of its competitors fail to finish. Uncomfortable as I am getting so deeply into "bike culture" (as derided by the Snob), and coming from the Institute which is like a Copenhagen in Bangalore, I continue because the people at BOTS as well as most of the bikers in Bangalore are an incredibly friendly lot. Perhaps that is true of most people after you meet them, but we'll leave that thought for later.

Part of going to the screening is also the presence of Samim Rizvi, the first Indian to qualify for the RAAM. He rode 700km in 24hours to qualify for the event! After reading about Jure Robic, I must say I did not expect Samim to be so normal for a cyclist who qualified for the RAAM as well as someone who's just back from a training ride to Mumbai (in 3 days)!

As the rain gods hold back, Bicycle Dreams rolls. The Race across America is an endurance race. Cyclists start on the West Coast of America, and cycle across 3000 miles to the East Coast. Unlike the Tour De France which is a team stage race, the RAAM is (mostly) a solo time trial. The first to get to the East coast wins. If you can skip sleeping and ride at night, that's okay. As the New York Times puts it, it's no longer the physical body that counts, it's what between your ears. As the documentary unfolds, we see both seasoned veterans and rookies battle it out in what ultimately turns out to be less of a physical challenge and more of a mental challenge. Jure Robic wins, of course, but how!

Perhaps Samim has it right, when he answers during the Q&A session that he doesn't think when riding -- he jokes it's a waste of calories! But at the limits, your brain is perhaps your worst enemy. And not thinking helps.

As I ride back, in an uncharacteristic high-gear, my heart pounds through my seat, but I don't stop, well not until the movie wears off.

No comments: