Reconciliation
May 2006
"Hi!"
I must say, I was surprised to see her. It was nearly a year now when I had declared that I wanted to go it alone, and we had split. It hadn't been painful, but I had never imagined the complete consequences of my actions, or what I had done.
"How's life?" she continued.
How's my life? It was the pits! And I knew fully well she knew it too. But I made an effort to answer her, my formal factual answers rather incongruous to the informal tone she had adopted. I talked, and she seemed to be listening. And then I told her about K.
She smiled and interrupted me, "So everything's working out ..." I wish I had her confidence. But I didn't say anything. Stiff upper-lip and all that.
"Do you need me for anything?"
I hesitated. I knew the answer, of course, but I did not understand why she asked the question. She didn't need me.
"It's upto you ... " I muttered. Stupid pride of mine!
"Okay," she said.
***
She came back. I knew it the moment I returned. Everything was finally falling into place! And I knew I wasn't quite alone now.
I am, quite literally, a very lucky man.
***