Saturday, November 11. I'm walking on Margosa Road, after the ATM people decided to shut down for some time, and the laptop person is busy talking to somebody else. I see this bylane, with a wall painting of "Bangalore Book Shop". I'm intrigued, and step into the lane. A few steps, and a narrow lane beckons to a "shop of two floors and all types of books!" I'm turned off by the residential setting, and walk out back onto the main road. And as I do, I approach the front entrance of this shop.
I walk in, and look at the initial displays, and am impressed. The excellent Dorling-Kindersley Eyewitness series is prominently displayed. I haven't seen this since school, they're excellent photographic references on a variety of subjects. Highly recommended (but very expensive!). But this is just the stairs yet. I continue walking, and reach the "first floor".
Woo hoo! Paradise! This shop is so new, they're still unpacking a lot of books! But this also means that they've bought entire series of books --- Arthur Hailey, Enid Blyton, Asterix/Tintin, Thomas Harris (I finally see the Silence of the Lambs as a book!) and what not! This is largely the "children's" section, so I also see a lot of comics that I read as a child -- the venerable Amar Chitra Kathas! They're now priced at Rs. 30 each, and one day I shall buy the entire collection, but it's really good that they still are available. They're invaluable references for kids (and adults) on Indian history and lore.
There's a technical section, of course, but there's nothing there that's of use to me now. I don't visit the second floor, I'll visit that sometime later. It helps that the shop is about 10 minutes from the Institute :)
And in still bigger news, the Strand Book Fair comes to Bangalore! November 24--December 10, at the Chinnaswamy Stadium. I sorely regret missing it in Mumbai this time (been a regular since junior college), and it's wonderful they're coming here. If it's the same rules -- minimum 40% off and upto 80% off --- I'm gonna enjoy going there!
Here's a few plugs: if you're gonna buy non-computer books, go to Strand Book Stall, and avoid others like the plague. They're a no-nonsense store that really cares about penniless readers. With their fabulous discounts you save money, and of course buy more books! What about Bangalore Bookshop? Well, they've discounts of 15%, I think, so maybe I may not end up buying from them.
What about computer books? Computer Bookshop, of course.
Sunday, November 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment