Friday, June 19, 2009

Plastics are not fun, and neither is paper!

After seeing the amount of plastic that accumulates whenever I go shopping for my groceries and stuff, and the difficulty in disposing of it correctly, I brought a cloth bag for me from home. Cloth bags are better than paper since they're stronger, last longer and can be reused easily. Perhaps the only problem is carrying them around, but I got cloth bags that will fold up into a wallet size packet that makes them a lot easier to carry around.

Here's a list of plastic that accumulated for the 3 years I've been around here. Not all of it was "preserved", only those that I thought I would reuse, but I never did get around to reusing them :(

Top boldface numbers are the quantity, bottom and right-side numbers the width and length respectively. If you're going into manufacturing cloth bags, use this data!



As you'd probably notice the worst offender is the local supermarket. There are a couple of them in the neighbourhood, but only one (Fresh) charges for the plastic bags, and that too a measly 20 paise. I wish more would follow their example.

What's my Green Strategy? Here's me preaching to the choir:
  • Use Less: The less we use, the less waste we produce!
  • Re-use More: The longer we use something, the lesser its impact on the environment.
  • Recycle efficiently: Recycling is not all that great. For newspapers, yes. But try selling your plastic bags to the local raddiwallah!

No comments: