Monday, October 29, 2007

Sticker Crazy

Most Laptops have stickers on them. Some, like the Sony VAIO, are covered in stickers. Some, like Bonszai, have just two. None of them, though, is the Windows logo. Personalizing a laptop with stickers is also pretty common, and though I haven't done so yet, the Free Software Sticker book is powerful motivation.

So, the past few days I've been trying to make stickers. This involves finding sticker paper, and printing. Rather simple. Unfortunately, most stationery shops didn't have what I was looking for -- glossy, white, high-quality sticker paper. But this was an experiment, so I went ahead and bought some different types anyway. Printing was easier since I have access to an excellent high-quality color printer, though it's not free.

The stickers did come out nice, but the perfectionist in me was not really satisfied. The colors had desaturated a bit, and some stickers were unrecognizable. A lot of computers in my lab are sporting the stickers that turned out good.

So I bothered a few of my friends for where I could get better paper and Abhijit pointed me to Printo. A professional retail publishing chain setting up in Bangalore. And they're good. Very nice ambience, knowledgeable people, and they had exactly what I wanted. Not to mention the fact that they're 10mins from the Institute. Nothing like the DTP-wallahs.

They also sell stationery, and have a nice sample book. Except it seems, they don't sell sticker paper. They do print out stickers for you, but no blank sheets -- I was supposedly the first person to come asking for sticker paper. In one and a half years of operation. They promised to get in touch with head office to tell them, etc. and while they do, I've decided I'm going to spend some money and get some stickers printed by them. Turns out they're not much more expensive then my D-I-Y efforts. And if the quality is good, then it will be worth it.

I really really like the concept and implementation of Printo. I've been wanting a store like this from a very long time, especially after I've heard of stores like it in the US, and it will hopefully be promoted more to the hobbyist D-I-Yers like me.

[To come: My experiments with T-shirt printing]

1 comment:

Jugal said...

Look out for large size round-cornered stickers that are available in sheets. Some of them are really big - you can later the do the cutting with a scissor. It will take you a little time to figure out the page setup for the printer, but once done, it will be quite cool.