Sunday, July 02, 2006

Chronicles of the Lost and Found (Part 1)

War
July 4, 2005

[This is a story about war written in the peacetime. Hence it tends to be kinder than most to the people involved. After all, when war's over, why rake up stormy issues? I defer to conventional wisdom, but what I cannot put down on paper, I carry with me to my grave. I have not forgotten. And will not.]

Was it the silence? Was it the tension? I couldn't care less. Everything was working out perfectly fine. I wouldn't have noticed an elephant if it walked before me. Until the explosion that is. As my world came crashing down, I knew the thing I feared had happened. It had been too perfect. My well-laid plans crumbled, my actions went to naught, and I ... I just stood there with tears streaming down my face. It couldn't be happening. Not now. Not to me. Well, war doesn't wait for men. Or for princes. As I saw the attackers head towards me, and saw who it was, I did the only sensible thing I could: I ran.

***

The Generals were perplexed. Their "impregnable" defence systems had just been breached. The attackers had come in, and gone out just as easily as if the blocks did not exist. Leaving the city in shambles. There had been major damage, but their target had been clear.

"He's not to be found, sir"

***

"This is E-News. We're reporting live from the Imperial Palace, where it rumoured that the Crown Prince was killed in the attack this evening. The Palace Officials have refused to confirm or deny these rumours. Oh wait ..."

The Crown Prince came out onto the balcony.

"He's alive! The Crown Prince is alive! He's waving to the crowd! He appears unhurt. Well, this is E-News, reporting that the rumours were just that, rumours. The Crown Prince is alive and well."

***

So the automaton had been deployed. I knew the Generals would resort to that. That was Plan B for them.

Now I had to execute my Plan B. I didn't have one, of course. With Plan A so beautifully planned, who wanted to waste time on a Plan B?

***

I now have my insurance policy. That's probably the only thing I take with me. Plan B is in motion now, and I'm still hoping I'll get Plan A revived again. Yes, it's war, and I'm fighting alone. I don't understand it, of course, I've been away too long. I'm lost now. Looks like there is a lot I've to learn.