begins January 2006
If you know others and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know others but know yourself, you win one and lose one; if you do not know others and do not know yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.
-- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
I walked up the stone path towards the hut in the forest. The morning mist curled upto me, as the sun's rays pointed me to the entrance. It was a quiet place, and there seemed to be no one around. I hesitated at the entrance, and then walked straight in.
The cat on the path froze. I had not noticed it, but now I stared at it. I had always liked cats. It had been a long time, though, since I had noticed one. I bent slowly, to pet it, but it bounded away.
"It does not know you."
I stood up and turned, startled, to see a white-haired bearded man walk slowly towards me.
"But then, I believe neither do you."
I nodded, and then saw that he was the man I sought.
"Do you know who I am?" I asked.
"Would you have come to me otherwise?"
I slowly nodded my head, "No. I would not."
"Come then, let us see what we can learn about you."
And I walked into the hut.
***
"And now, you are done."
"But, I've hardly just begun!" I protested.
"No, not your journey. Your time here has. Your journey will go on. But you now travel alone."
I understood.
***
As I walked out, we met again.
The cat tensed up as I stood a few feet away from it. I stared, and then blinked slowly. The cat relaxed. I approached it, and it did not run away.
"Purrrrr..."
I laughed a forgotten laugh. I picked it up in my arms and stroked its soft fur. It knew me. And it was content.
And soon I would be too.