Saturday, September 23, 2006

Bombed (Almost!)

No, no, this isn't about another terrorist attack. Puh-lease!

There's this road I take every night on my way back to the hostel, which despite being a McAdam road, is largely white in colour, thanks to the huge trees lining the road. Walking on this road at night is particularly risky, as some still-awake bird might decide to bomb the hapless researcher walking on below. So far, I've survived (mostly), and been bombed only once, while walking at less than the recommended speed.

Last night, as I walked on this road, the birds were rudely awakened from their sleep. The cause is still unknown, but the effect of hundreds of birds waking up above your head, all cawing and frightened, is definitely not good for me on the road below. I can probably survive the "normal" bombings, which have a poisson rate of about one every 5 seconds, but not the mass bombing that ensued last night.

So, gentle reader, if you saw me running on this road as if the devil were after me last night, rest assured the road is not haunted. It's probably just a lot of nervous birds who forgot to eat as their mothers told them to.

And I must be a good runner, because I survived!

3 comments:

Aam Aadmi said...

Reminds me of an Indian who asked at Yahoo! Answers "How are birds in USA desciplined?". One guy replied: "All of our birds are trained to go to the bathroom in the forest. Training begins soon after the baby emerges from the egg and continues until they can fly to the forest on their own, and then find their way back again. On some rare occasions, a rogue bird that defiantly resists these mostly moral obligations will be caught and put on pedestrian path clean up duty and this is good behavior modification for birds. Thank you very much for noticing."

Jugal said...

oh back in Vileparle, the dahanukar college road aka prem galli was just like that... we used to take a shortcut from there catch some love birds in action and we would inevitably become target for the other birds :D

G@K said...

Hahahaha! That was written very well. Somehow have never seen u run, so the visuals in my head looked a bit funny.
Hope u r never "bombed" in ur life!