Monday, September 25, 2006

Missing the Mumbai Rains

Bangalore rains can be described in two words. Drip-Drip. Given the high expectations that rains on my first day in Bangalore had generated, I'm quite disappointed at the rains that have followed since. I was warned not to expect much though.

Rains here start every evening or night, sometimes during the day, and run for about a half-hour or so. And then everything's back to normal. Even the sun is shining. Very brightly and cheerfully, I might add.

No gray overcast skies. No thunder and lightning. No elemental fury. No rain coming down in sheets. No "better stay at home or else..." attitude of the Mumbai rains. No stay at home for a week. *Sigh*

Thankfully, the campus trees prolong the rains for quite some time, a phenomenon labelled "local rain" (as opposed to "global rain") by the guys in the Physics department. So it's not that bad. And walking through this beautiful rain-soaked campus is wonderful, but really, a little more rain would spice it up even more!

Here's looking forward to some more thunder and lightning.

[I heard Mumbai's experiencing some heavy rains this time, even in September, aah people, you don't know what I'm missing!]

1 comment:

Alff said...

Well you are always welcome to come back (even if it is for a few days). Yeah we did experience some tremendous rain on 16th but now we'll be soon reeling under the dreaded October heat. Stay cool in your campus guruji.